When I discover a new writer, I always go straight to the “About the Author” page. After all, if I’ll be spending the next several hours inside this person’s imagination, I want to at least know a little bit about them! But let’s be honest, the information provided on the back cover is often pretty generic, and usually a little boring, mine included. So, in the spirit of fun and making new reader friends, here are five random and hopefully more interesting things about me - things you won’t find on the back cover.
1. When a book is too suspenseful, I get stressed out and read the ending first. I always go back and read it through, but this takes the edge off so I can relax and enjoy the story without worrying about the end. I know it’s cheating!
2. I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro for my 40th birthday. It was very, very hard. Not Everest hard, but still a huge physical and mental challenge.
3. I’ve been married for 24 years. My husband and I were young and broke, but four kids and a lot of work later and we have a pretty terrific life. And my children are some of the finest people I know. I’ll take a little credit. In our house there aren’t many rules, but the important ones – respect, good manners, and personal accountability – are non-negotiable. Honestly, though, they are their own people and just came into the world full of awesomeness.
4. I really am a sci-fi fan. Star Wars remains my favorite movie of all time and I consistently beat my children at Star Wars Trivial Pursuit. It’s not even a fair fight.
5. Zombie apocalypse or alien invasion? This is a serious debate in our house, and we discuss contingency plans for both. Doesn't everyone?